Monday, September 19, 2011

Applying for Alien Card and Visiting Sorae Pogo

The Chusak holiday in Korea can be thought of as the equivalent to our Thanksgiving. People visit there Grandparents home and make a desert called songpyeong. It is a small, sweet rice cake. Before the holiday weekend began, Mr. Shin took me to go apply for my alien card. We had not had lunch in fear of being late, so when we finished we were both very hungry.
He asked if I wanted to go to Sorae Pogo, which means " a small port". I was under the weather, but very excited to experience something new and have some fresh seafood. When we arrived, he recommended I have the hot pot with rice and oysters. It was the most delicious thing I have had in Korea yet! It had 4 types of mushrooms and fresh sprouts. I was very great full to get out of my small city and appreciate some seriously delicious food.

After lunch, he offered to walk me around the fish market. I was very thrilled to go walk around the market, especially because many places near my home offer red meat. It was pretty amazing and overwhelming because  there were so many types of  seafood, many of which I have never seen before.

This is a small section of the market.

The small port

Some delicious dried fish that reminded me of our Christmas food.

A snack food: 
Mr. Shin suggested I try this shell fish, you just suck the insides out from the natural hole on the top portion of the shell. It reminded me of a mix between a clam and a snail with a slight hint of sesame leaf. I collected all the empty shells to have as trinkets in my home. But it quickly became a bad idea. I washed them repeatedly, but after a few days my apartment started to smell like rotting meat. I sadly was forced to through them out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment